Waikato Country Entertainer, Joy Adams is the main driving force behind StarBuddy Charitable Trust.
What happens to the money?
The key difference with our Charity is that the money donated stays local wherever possible. We feel this is a huge factor with clubs and organisations wanting to donate hard earned money. They want to see it coming back into the community and they want to support a local child.
Who gets what?
- A portion of the StarPledge will be donated to the Charity or group closely associated with the child. Wherever possible, this will be in the child’s town and if there isn’t a local branch, it will go to the local region.
- A portion of the StarPledge will be donated to the local Branch of St John Ambulance to help support them and the wonderful work they do.
- Part of the StarPledge will allow us to give a child their own specially tailored gift or treat.
We will chat to the family beforehand and find something that fits perfectly with the child.
Some of the options are:
- A musical instrument such as a Ukulele. Music related DVD’s, CD’s, Tickets to Shows/Events. We have contact with a number of Top Country Artists from all around NZ who will present the child with their gift or treat on behalf of StarBuddy Charitable Trust.
- We can arrange a ride in a Hotrod – Classic Car – Ferrari – Mustang – Porsche – Truck – Police Car – Fire Engine – Racing Car.
- We can arrange through Stardome Observatory and Planetarium for a Child to ‘Adopt a Star’. The child will receive an information pack with the Stars co-ordinates in the Night Sky and a certificate. The Child can visit the Observatory and see their star through the big telescope. This is a very special everlasting gift.
- EmbroidMe in Hamilton has offered to allow a child to ‘create’ their own design for a T-Shirt. They will embroider the design on a T-Shirt and the child can watch it being done in their Hamilton Store.
- We have been offered the opportunity to take a kid fishing. This is run through an organised fishing club.
- Galaxy Projector Lamps. These are ideal for Children who are non verbal. The Projector puts coloured stars and sparkles on the ceiling and walls of the child’s bedroom. It has different options for music sounds and an i-pod (or similar) can be plugged into it to play any kind of music. It has a sleep function so will turn itself off after a pre-set time.
- We have beautiful Stirling Silver Star necklaces available for little girls.
- Family Movie passes, Tickets to the Zoo.
All children receive a framed certificate from StarBuddy Charitable Trust if that is appropriate.
Who can sponsor/donate a StarPledge?
Any organisation or private donation will be welcome.
It is hoped that events can be hosted by various organisations around the country with proceeds going to the Trust to do more StarPledges.
Please contact Joy Adams if you require more information or would like a presentation done.
How do we select a Child?
This is a hard one for us. Obviously we can’t just front up to people in the street and tell them about StarBuddy Charitable Trust. We are really reliant on word of mouth and hope that people will see our sincerity and want to be part of it.
We are constantly looking for Children to create StarPledges for so please get in touch with us and let’s do it.
We are working with some Local and National Organisations who have been very helpful sending Children our way.
We just need kids who fit our criteria.
What happens at a StarPledge Presentation?
To date, we have organised events where the family (and extended family) have come along to a venue. We invite the club or organisation who has donated the StarPledge and acknowledge their jesture.
Wherever possible, we will invite the local paper to come along and do a story about the event. StarBuddy will present the child with a certificate and gift. We ask that the family gives us permission to take photos to include on our facebook and website, although we will of course respect the wishes of the family if they would prefer otherwise.
It is not our intention to glamorize any child’s illness or try and attract sympathy. It is very important to us that everything is done tastefully and with the parents permission.
The ultimate aim is to do something special for the child and in the process, donate money to the charities associated to that child.
If it’s possible, we will ask that representatives from local St John Ambulance will attend and receive their donation from us as well as the Charities & groups associated with the children.
Please check out our facebook page for photos of events to date